Thursday, February 15, 2007

Muskrat lessons

Last Sabbath we hiked far down the salt marsh and found a group or muskrat homes surrounded by some very tall reeds. They were well-made with various sizes of reeds and mud creating sturdy homes. The Marsh is frozen now, and the muskrats are safe inside their homes perhaps dreaming of Spring. It has been a very cold week here in Maine, but thanks to Dad and Papa, the house is toasty warm with fires in the mornings and evenings keeping the house really cozy. I was thinking how thankful I was to sleep in my bed and not Mrs. Muskrat's. We along with the Muskrats work hard to keep stay warm and safe, but I was thinking that if our eyes were opened to the spiritual warfare surrounding us, we would see our great need of God's help. There is no safety apart from Him. Nahum 1:7 says " The Lord is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble, and He knows those who trust in Him."
mom

3 comments:

barry said...

I wish I was a muskrat, sleeping peacfully away, just like I'm supposed to do all winter long.

However, a muskrat misses the joy mixed with sorrow. Perhaps my lot is no harder than the muskrat's. I have compensation for hard times, and the muskrat has neither hard times nor compensation. In the end, we both are creatures of our Creator, living how we were made to function, and fufilling what we were meant to accomplish.

Paul said...

thanks for posting!

I'd gladly trade my house for a muskrat's--as long as my everlasting reading didn't follow.

keep up the good work,

Petraglyph said...

What nice thoughts, Aunt Lyn. I think I'd have to agree with EGW that nature is God's second book. There's so much you can learn about His character by just being out in it! I look forward to visiting the muskrat's home this summer.